So, today I was reading the latest post from one of my favorite blog writers, Jamie the Very Worst Missionary. Her writing is not for the faint of heart and definitely not for the easily offended. She writes straight from the heart and doesn't hide much- she just lets it all hang out. But she kind of has this knack for hitting things dead on, with no messing around with pleasantries and politeness. She's written some really controversial stuff in the past that has gotten the Christian web world a'stirring and I love the way she makes people stop and think. Today's post reminded me of something that one of the girls I discipled in Odessa said to me soon after I moved there, "You're just doing this because you have to. I'm an assignment." And there was truth in that statement. She was an assignment. So the challenge that I had was to move beyond the fact that she was an assignment to showing her that I wanted a real, meaningful relationship with her. It's a definite challenge for missionaries, because we all have our goals and ideas of what needs to be accomplished. The challenge is to love people, not projects.
Fair warning: she tends to use expletives loosely and talk about body parts and things that other people think best left unsaid(much more than I do). And yes, she's a missionary. She'll blow open your thoughts on what a missionary should do or say. If you're not scared of all of that, then check her out!
**I should add that this most recent post doesn't contain anything that might offend.
http://www.theveryworstmissionary.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment