Monday, May 17, 2010

Pidge and Midge

Meet Pidge and Midge. Pidge is rather camera shy and it took me three days of sneaking around to catch a picture of him before he could ran away. He's about to bolt in this picture.

This is Egg#2 at the former site of Nest#1.

This is Egg#1 at the site of Nest#2


Pidge and Midge decided to set up home on one of my balconies about four weeks ago. As many first time parents are, Pidge and Midge are a little unsure how to go about this nesting and birthing process. Midge wasn't quite prepared for the whole experience and laid her first egg about three weeks ago, before they had begun to build the nest. They abandoned that poor little egg and out of curiosity, I left it there for the last three weeks. After they completed their nest, Midge laid two more eggs and set about her job of sitting on them and cooing over them. When I returned from Kransnoarmeysk on Friday, I looked out the window to find that Pidge and Midge had destroyed their nest, abandoned egg #2 and somehow, egg #3 had disappeared. They began rebuilding their nest on Saturday on the other side of the balcony and this morning I saw poor Midge busily rolling egg #1 into her new nest. I'm beginning to think that Pidge and Midge either failed or completely skipped out on their Pigeon Parenting class. I was so looking forward to having some little Pidgetts and Midgetts, but I'm afraid it's not to be. Poor Pidge and Midge. It's not their fault that they're just bird brains.

3 comments:

Phyllis said...

Very typical of pigeons! They actually sound like experienced parents for their kind. My Mom says that it's a wonder that any of them survive!

Baba Julie said...

Oh my!! I'm glad I haven't been watching them! I would probably try to help and make it even worse! Love you! Mom

Tapley said...

That's so funny! Tell Pidge and Midge I said "hi"!