Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Equip 2 Counsel, pt. 1

Ok, I said that I'd catch everyone up on the counseling class that I started while in Minnesota. IM has two new couples as part of our Staff Care group who run a ministry called, "Equip to Counsel." http://equip2counsel.wordpress.com/ The Hendersons and Snuffers invited me to spend the week following our weekend of Staff Care meetings going through some introductory training to the method of counseling that they use. I had gotten a really great impression of both them and their wives during our meetings, and was really looking forward to the week of training with the guys. And I was not disappointed.

 One of the big things that they emphasize is learning how our brains work. I spent four days with them and spent time looking at 1)The Anatomy of a Lie, 2)Shame vs. Guilt, 3)Sorting Systems(how our brain processes all that is around us), 4)Vulnerability, and 5)the Characteristics of the Primary Representational Systems(Visual, Auditory, and Kinesthetic) and how people process everything through their individual modes of learning.

I got so much from just those four days and am super excited to have the opportunity to keep learning from Mark and Mike. I hope to go back later in the Spring to spend another week with them and sit in on some of their counseling sessions. Out of the different counseling methods I've seen or read about or experienced, this one actually makes me really excited to learn more. It makes sense to me. It's practical and Scripture based, without ramming Scripture down the throats of those who aren't at the point to be able to receive it solely. I came out of last week feeling extremely thankful for the opportunities that I've been given to learn more and for the people whose paths have crossed with mine.

I want to write about the individual days, so stay tuned for the next post: The Anatomy of a Lie. Fascinating stuff!!

No comments: