Sunday, November 22, 2009

Searching for Sauce


My desire to make BBQ chicken took me on a hunt around my neighborhood this past week searching for BBQ sauce. And before you tell me to make it, I've already tried. The main problem is that we can't purchase all of the necessary ingredients here, so it doesn't taste the same. And since I've had BBQ sauce at McDonalds here, I assumed that I would be able to find it somewhere. My first attempt showed me that there are many sauces(all in bags like the above picture) to be found here, but not quite what I was looking for:

*odd versions of 1000 Island, Caeser and sweet Italian
*sauce w/veggies
*sauce w/forest mushrooms
*chinese sweet/sour sauce
*curry sauce w/pineapple
*sweet garlic sauce for fries
*tartar sauce
*mushroom sauce
*sour sauce w/veggies & pineapple
*parmesan sauce
*paprika sauce
*"mexican" sauce
*Georgian sauce(the country, not the US state)
*French sauce
*Italian
*Russian w/horesradish
*Steak sauce
*mushroom soy sauce
*thai sweet chili sauce
*mango sauce
*thai seafood sauce
**and the many kinds of ketchup available here(none of which taste like ours): homestyle, "hot", shashlik, chili, classic, garlic, paprika

Soooo, after searching through all of that in various stores, imagine my excitement upon finding Heinz BBQ sauce. I got home, twisted the top off, inhaled the sweet and tangy smell of BBQ sauce. Yessss!!! I was victorious!! I made dinner and sat down to enjoy the sweet taste of success..............and found out that much like the ketchup here, the sauce may smell similar and taste kind of similar, but it's just not the same. I don't understand why it can be made by the same company and use a completely different recipe than any that are found in the US. So, anyone feel like shipping me some brown sugar, chili powder and worcestershire sauce?? =-D

9 comments:

Phyllis said...

Will buys Worcestershire sauce here, and he even found liquid smoke a few times in Russia. That really makes it taste like BBQ sauce! You do better to import molasses than brown sugar, BTW. It goes much farther.

Julia said...

Hi Anna, have you craved any other American foods? Just curious. Miss you!

Anna said...

Phyllis, Worcestershire has been spotted here, as well, but as you know, the trick is finding it. Molasses is a good idea. I'll remember that.

Baba Julie said...

Hi, Honey! I have a recipe for Western NC Barbecue Sauce that is just as good as Carolina Country's, if you liked theirs.

Western NC Barbecue Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup minced onion
1 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Bring to a boil in heavy sauce pan. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 min. Makes 3 cups

Anna said...

Thanks, mom. The problem is that you can't buy brown sugar or molasses here and I haven't found Worcestershire, though a couple of people said they've seen it. so when I get those ingredients, then I'll make it!

Adam Lancaster said...

How much does it cost to send that stuff up?

Anna said...

I'm not sure, Adam. Shipping isn't cheap, though. It wouldn't be teribly expensive, but you'd definitely pay more to ship than what you actually paid for the items. =-D

Baba Julie said...

Hi, Honey! Carolyn Flanagan suggested a dark honey in place of the molasses. She does that b/c she doesn't like molasses. And, of course, brown sugar is just white & molasses. (I'm sure you know that.) She said, "Go see the honey lady"!! (She really loved the honey, honey lady and the picture!) Love you!

Phyllis said...

There's also a syrup that you can buy in an apteka. It's dark, made from rose hips, and kind of like molasses. It's called холасос or something like that. . . sounds like of like molasses.